Sunday, September 9, 2007

Blog #1

Growing up in an environment where most of the kids around me were positive that they knew what they wanted to do when they grew up, I always felt out of place. I’ve never had what you would call a “drive” I was born with that told me what my purpose would be in this life. I did well in school and was accepted to a few universities out of high school but I chose not to go. I felt I needed a little time to find myself so I came to GCC. After deliberating for 2 years, changing my major about 5 times and choosing between a UC and a Cal State (I chose Cal Poly Pomona, to my parents dismay)… I am finally at a place in my life where I can breathe a little. I am currently attending Cal Poly and taking some classes at GCC as well. My major was originally Poli Sci but being the indecisive person I am; I changed it to Real Estate, Business Law & Business Finance. My goal now is to be accepted to law school, preferably Loyola or Southwestern, after I graduate. My college experience has been amazing at times and disheartening at times, but what I know for sure is that it has been a crucial part of the person I am today.

My experience in formal education along with the life lessons I have learned in my personal life allow me to come to a few conclusions about certain things. I have learned that self esteem and confidence are extremely important in all aspects of life. I cannot stress this enough. At a personal level, we allow ourselves to form relationships with the wrong people when we are lacking self esteem. We lose sight of the value we carry and become blind to who walks in and out of our lives, taking something with them everytime they go. At a professional level, a lack of self esteem enables us to give up easily at the sight of a challenge. If some one we are up against is more qualified, we will step aside because we do not believe that we could do better. An older, wiser friend of mine once told me, "Know your value and never give anyone a discount." I hope this might help some one who is reading my blog, because it took a while for me to learn it myself.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Hey whats up Irene, indeed I am/was in the same boat as you are/were in. I started out having no clue as to what i wanted to do i just took random useless classes....then I decided to become a business major because I wanted to open a car stereo store. I really suck at math, so when I actually started taking classes for my major, I tripped up on the accounting classes. Now I'm a psych major because it's so freakin easy :D. It sounds like you think being a geek is a bad thing? it's ok though, I'm proud of my geekiness ;)

Yea true true, it sucks having these large corporations control the government to accommodate their greedy agendas, it kind of gives us a faux idea that we the people actually have the power in this country. As the old adage goes, "for the love of money is the root of all evil" que no?

I think however (like I somewhat already stated) that it is the individual's choice whether or not they do what they do, in this case watch what they watch, and I applaud our government for giving us the freedoms to do that. If the government controls EVERYTHING we do, then we would end up like some totalitarian government.

And I feel you about the self esteem Irene, it sucks being walked over :( and I love that quote too...its deep.jeez I really have to learn how to shorten these things up. You seem to like to type a lot as well so it's all good right? lol.